Our Insulating Inserts
Each insulating window insert is made of a custom-made pine frame wrapped in two layers of tightly-sealed, clear polyolefin film and finished with a compressible foam gasket. The foam allows enough give for the inserts to be easily slid into place in the fall and removed in the spring, while holding firmly enough to provide a tight, friction-based seal that stops drafts and adds two more insulating air spaces between your home and your window. The inserts are installed inside of your existing window with no fasteners required.
- INQUIRE by calling or emailing your Local Coordinator > HERE
- GET MEASURED by our volunteers who will visit, assess and measure your windows, and give you a quote
- SIGN UP for shifts at a Community Workshop held September – January across the state > HERE
- PAY for your inserts (special low-income pricing available upon request) > HERE
- PARTICIPATE in the Community Workshop where the inserts are built
- INSTALL your inserts in your windows
- ENJOY a warmer home and lower heating bills!
- Our Pine Frames are sturdy and beautiful: available in natural pine or white-painted.
- Pine Frames provide additional insulation, unlike aluminum frames which conduct heat.
- Two layers of polyolefin film creates two dead air spaces: one between the two layers of film and one between the insert and your window. This is twice the insulative value of a single-layer insert.
- Each insert is custom-built to the exact measurements of each window, ensuring a tight fit and excellent insulation.
- Inserts are removable and reusable each year. See our storage tips. >link<
- Inserts last 5-10 years. If the plastic or foam wears out after that time (or if damaged by kids or pets), the inserts can be rewrapped for just $10. >link<
- Our local Community Workshop model ensures that our inserts are as affordable as possible because we harness the power of YOU.
- Low income households can qualify for up to 10 natural pine inserts per year at no charge.
- Savings will vary depending on many factors, including the quality of your existing windows. Our research shows that, in a typical house, 10 inserts save an average of 105 gallons of heating fuel every year for an estimated savings of $270 per year. Our inserts generally pay for themselves in less than two heating seasons.
How much does it cost?
Each insert is custom-priced based on the exact measurements of your window. Inserts generally pay for themselves in 1-2 heating seasons.
The chart on the right shows sample prices. Your exact price will vary.
|Small: 20” x 36”||$19.44||$23.71|
|Medium: 30” x 52”||$27.81||$36.96|
|Large: 44” x 68”||$44.05||$47.63|